Sunday, July 31, 2011

an imaginative title escapes me

Okay, I wrote a huge essay-long post on fashion bloggers and popularity and things but I realised I kept contradicting myself and when I went back and re-read it I felt like during the time I was writing it I had completely changed my mind.
Am I making sense? I feel like I'm not even writing in English. Nothing makes sense when I re-read it anymore.

Okay, this is just a quick summary of the thoughts that led me to write that really long post that I've since deleted. 

Thoughts about sites like Lookbook, Chictopia, etc
  • Why is it that you only ever see conventionally attractive people on, say, the most hyped page of Lookbook.nu? Does not fitting society's standards of beauty mean you can't have great personal style?
  • Which then made me think, do people judge personal style photos based on physical attractiveness? 
  • Is that fair? 
Thoughts about general things
  • Have popular fashion bloggers ceased to be relatable because of their access to expensive clothes? (This is not an attack or anything- I mean, if my favourite designer sent me some clothes, there is no way in hell I would refuse them).
And there were more but I'm really tired and I just want to stare at cdg dresses and lolita shoes for a little while, then maybe take a bubble bath.

Hannah

P.S I just looked at the homepage of Chictopia and Lookbook.nu to see if they had disproved my statements (I always make grand, sweeping statements then go and find that they've been disproved) and nope, it's all -seriously, ALL- thin, conventionally attractive, (mostly) white people. I'm not trying to say that their outfits have no merit but seriously, does nobody see the pattern?

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree on those thoughts! Why are the top fashion bloggers all ridiculously attractive and thin? It seems like all the most praised ones all look like they could be in a magazine spread.
    And the access to such expensive clothes, that is another thing that has seemingly turned things more like looking at a magazine. I turn to fashion blogs for inspiration when the unrealism of magazines disappoints me, but alas! the blogging world seems to be driven by unrealistic standards as well...
    But then there are amazing people like you who stand about adove the rest for remaining inspiring and real!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i stopped going on lookbook when it all became the same type of style and definition of 'pretty'. super lean girls with flowy hair in denim shorts/platform heels combo...it just got tiring. the funny thing is, these types of websites were supposed to be a celebration of diverse styles from around the world but i think a certain look caught on and after that, everyone wanted the same 'hype' so stuck to that look? haha i don't know. just a theory.

    "Have popular fashion bloggers ceased to be relatable because of their access to expensive clothes? (This is not an attack or anything- I mean, if my favourite designer sent me some clothes, there is no way in hell I would refuse them)." er, i would say yes. there is nothing wrong with that but the big ones have kind of created this aspirational world that surrounds their blog. their blogs makes it seem like they operate in their own bubble...

    but then there are girls like arabelle and tavi...and you, who encourage the whole blogger community spirit, so in the end, the state of fashion blogs doesn't bother me as much as it used to anymore.

    oops, i just wrote way too much.

    ReplyDelete

you can tell us we're weird, its ok. comment away!